10/2/05

EXT2 in Windows...
I was reading in an LiveJournal group about EXT2 file system access in Windows... The guy on there was posting about EXT2 IFS driver which just sounds odd to me...

I can't tell you how long I've heard "be careful mounting NTFS partitions in Linux with write access - you never know when you'll screw up your MFT!!" - so I've always just use write access... Even though, I hear success stories all the time. Now, you can do EXT2 in Windows?!? That just doesn't seem right.

I can't try this thing out anyway - all my file systems (that are "data" partitions at least) are reiser fs... So, I'm not going to even bother messing around with it. Not to mention I can't remember the last time I booted into Windows on Suzi... Before I returned to college I think - which would have been over a week ago.

Side Note - Audio
I've been having some odd audio issues in Linux. I'm an avid anime fan, and I've never had a problem watching anime while leaving amaroK (or another video) paused in the background. Now, I seem to be having some odd issues, which my anime seems to be exempt from...

First, I wanted to watch a flash file that I've had for quite some time... The only way to get it to play the audio was to close amaroK, KPlayer, and Sunbird - all of which are applications that had recently played music (or recently used/tried to use audio in one fashion or another).

Then, it progressed further - a video file that my roommate sent me (an XviD file - common codec among anime fansubbing groups) wouldn't play with amaroK running in the background. It got even worse when I was watching some MCSE-related CBT videos on my PC... Which I would have to exit all sorts of applications that had recently used/tried to use/could use audio.

Now, it's not uncomon for me to have to exit amaroK, Sunbird, KPlayer, and Kopete before I'm able to play a certain video or otherwise have sound fro a specific application.

I've also noticed that the audio in Chromium and a few of my other Linux games don't work at times. Quite disappointing.

For now, I'm betting that it's something that I've misconfigured or there may be an application that's monopolizing the audio system... Which (if it is) I will promptly prune from my system.

No comments: