10/10/05

WINS - my god.

For about the 1 millionth time, my MCSE text book is covering WINS. I'm so very tired about hearing about WINS... Not to mention that it isn't all that common in the real world.

Granted, I may run into it in the job force, but more than likely, I'll just be using DNS stuff... And learing about two types of name servers is annoying. I already have to contend with AD integrated DNS and non-AD integrated DNS... Now, I also have to remember everything there is to know about WINS. ~sigh.

I wonder how common place WINS is in the market... I mean, it was "phased" out with Windows 2000 --which used DNS mostly, but was compatible with WINS if necessary... But if you use Active Directory, you will be using DNS. No buts about it. So why o' why do we have Windows Server 2003 64 Bit Datacenter Edition is capable of running a WINS server? Can't we just get rid of it yet?!

I guess there is a place for it in modern businesses, but dang.

Also, my text book was talking about using DNS: for optimum performance, install DNS on a multi-processor machine, with high speed hard drives, with a maximum-speed network card, on a Windows Server 2003 cluster. Then, DNS will be sweet.

WTF? DNS on a CLUSTER?
I think I'm gonna run away now.

No comments: