10/2/05

Windows Server 2003 Acronyms That I Have Forgotten... (Must Not Forget!!!)

Group Policy Object (GPO) Application:
L : Local
S : Site
D : Domain
Ou : Organizational Unit

--Order of precedence for GPOs to be applied... OU overrides all previous.

Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) Roles:
D : Domain Master
R : RID Master
I : Infrastructure Master
P : PDC Emulator
S : Schema Master


D and S "the outside ones" are one per forest
RIP, "the inside ones" are one per domain

S can take hold of all other roles - so it should be on a server by itself. S cannot be taken by any other FSMO role, so that server should at least have its system state backed up frequently.

--there'll probably be a lot more acronyms that I should remember but don't... I'll likely add those in (or into future entires) as I remember them or run across them).

No comments: