10/8/05

She's Suffering from Minor DLL Failure...
My Windows 2000 machine (Miki) has recently been having DLL troubles... Usually, I'll see an "crashed" application with this error message:
NTDSAPI.dll cannot be found in one of the following directories:
*directory where specific application is located*, C:\WINNT\System32, C:\WINNT\System, ...

Other directories are listed where "..." is, I just can't remember them all.

I haven't done any research on the topic yet, but it has happened three or four times, requiring a restart each time. The DLL is of such importance, that I have nearly no access to any of my drives and very few applications will launch. A really annoying part is that saving is difficult, if not impossible... So any unsaved data most likely will be lost.

Even though I use SUSE-Linux more than Windows, and I use SUSE more intensely than Windows, it has had fewer restarts in the past two weeks than Windows has in the same time frame.

The odd thing is that Miki started acting up just a week or so after I started using SUSE... Which is just odd that it would start breaking down so soon after I purchased a replacement machine.

I'm thinking about doing what Andrew suggested... Installing Windows XP onto that machine instead of 2000 next time... Out of all the Windows versions, 2000 is the one I prefer, but I really need to get familiar with XP. And I guess if I have to reinstall Windows on Miki, then XP shall be the version of choice ~sigh.

Update (2005.10.08 @ 23:50)
Did some research on ntdsapi.dll - it's a process for finding resources on the network, but it is also a critical component of the "day to day" running of Windows (on a network or off). I guess that's why when it dies, then it's either working with an operating system that's half there or cut my losses and restart.

I (unfortunately) didn't find any references to the problem of having the DLL crash, I'll look into that more, but since it's a critical system function, it's probably covered by the System File Checker, which I can run anytime... Now that I know of the problem. The only issue with running sfc is that it doesn't really know about service packs... Which can sometimes cause it to attempt to down grade files that were updated -- which then leads to instability or the dreaded BSoD @ boot or something along those lines.

At least it's a starting point though.
/Update

No comments: