10/3/05

No Nameservers Madness
Here at college, me and my roommate segregated ourselves from the rest of ResNET - this causes our friends to he annoyed by us (we don't share files though Windows networking - but neither do we download from them) but it's also had an interesting side effect...

We are configured to use the name servers of the college, which seems to have caused trouble with my Samba server in SUSE. I can't access any of my shares on SUSE without using my \\192.168.1.11 address. However, SUSE can see my Windows 2000 server just fine using its name smb:\Miki-ni\

My roommate and I are discussion possible solutions to this problem, but for now, we've resorted to using the hosts file (paths - in Linux, then in Windows)
\etc\hosts
C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc\hosts


I made one entry into my Linux host file, but I'm not sure that it was necessary -- SUSE was already seeing the Windows machine by name. It's Windows that can't see SUSE by it's name (Suzi)... And no matter how much I play with it, I just can't seem to get it to work out like I want it to... I'm now able to do
ping suzi
and get the results I want, but doing a
\\suzi
at a run dialog, I get a "cannot be found" error... Grrr.

Update: Nameservers Madness: Oct. 3 @ 3:37 PM
After letting Windows sit idle all night long, it seems that my hosts (or lmhosts - I modified both) is now working for \\suzi in the run dialog. Happy Dance!

Now, if I can only get Suzi to show up in the Zenshougun workgroup... Suzi still isn't listed as being in any of the workgroups in the "Microsoft Networks" section of Network Neighborhood... Or anywhere else in Network Neighborhood for that matter. However, the \\suzi still works... At least that's something.

No comments: