12/15/05

Miki-ni, where are you!?!
Alright, even though it is a bit of a mystery as to how this all happened, but when I rebooted Miki-ni from the chkdsk and Avast boot-time scan, the system restarted just fine, as if there was never any problem at all.

I couldn't even find evidence of any problem with the system in the Event Viewer… Nothing at all! There were probably half a dozen errors listed in there from the times I attempted to boot the system and got a BSoD, but each of those errors were all "such-and-such a service failed to start" errors, that basically mean that something happened to the system that the computer didn't notice, but is causing other stuff to fail. Grrr, I suppose that I may never really know the cause of the failure, but one of my friends on LiveJournal said that it might be a harddrive failure, although I don't see any of the other typical symptoms of an HDD failure, such as having chkdsk errors, or CRC errors or corrupted files, or something along those lines.

Linux?! Why have you forsaken me?!?
Just a day or so ago, I posted about how "Linux shall inherit the Earth" because the OS has been treating me so well for the past while. Well, today I go in there, unlock the machine, and guess what? Nothing was working! KDE still looked normal, but actually using the OS was nearly impossible. At first, I was fooled, I didn't really think much of the trouble, I had started OOo Writer and was typing up an entry for LJ when I found that Amarok wouldn't start. Upon troubleshooting the problem, I found that it was a problem that couldn't be resolved easily:
  1. amaroK repeatedly wouldn't start
  2. amaroK was in memory about six times over, using KsysGuard I ended all the tasks, but amaroK still wouldn't start
  3. Attempted to save my LJ entry (that was being edited in OOo Writer) but wasn't able to bring up the save dialog box
  4. Attempted to access the KDE calendar, it appeared, but wouldn't close
  5. Attempted to close Thunderbird, but wasn't able to get it to close
  6. Logged off the system, which took longer than it should have but was a success
  7. Attempted to logon to the system, but the logon failed. I let it run for about 5 minutes before giving up on it and using TTY2 under root to execute shutdown -h now
  8. After the shutdown, I left the system off for about two minutes before powering it back on. The file system wasn't clean and had to replay a few items, but other than that, it seemed to be okay. Logon to KDE was successful and amaroK played the my playlist just fine.

Hmmm, another mystery of the computing world.

On a side note, I still haven't got Sims2 Nightlife to work in Linux… I'm not sure why… I can't seem to get the thing to allow me to install The Sims 2 (it can't find CD 2 once I insert it) and for some reason, the game just stalls if I just execute Cedega for my copy of The Sims 2 Nightlife that I copied over from my Windows directory. So, for now, it seems that I'm out of luck with playing Sims 2 in linux. Maybe I'll eventually figure it out (probably by spending a day or two looking though forums and what-not).

No comments: