12/25/05

Ever feel like today just isn't your day for technology?
I think today is one of those days for me...


Since that last post, I've had TWO technical issues... One was small, and I just averted the issue, the second was major, and I spent an hour researching and troubleshooting.

My first problem, the easy one, was the fact that my HTML code in my previous post was funkie... Blogger sent me an error message: "Cannot post: tag < center > has no closing tag." Now, there was only one center tag and one following center-closing tag. There's no reason that I can see that my tag was open, but I just added another center-closing tag, and it posted right away. Problem averted.

My second problem was a problem that has persisted me between different operating systems and have (now) even had different solutions. Sticking to the most recent incident, I when I earlier decided to reboot Suzi-LNX into XP, I forgot to shutdown Thunderbird before actually shutting down. I usually don't have a problem when I do this, but this time I did. When I opened Thunderbird, I was prompted "Please select a profile." The only profile listed was "default," and selecting default and selecting "Start Thunderbird" would cause Thunderbird to respond with Cannot use the profile ''Default'' because it is already in use. Please choose another profile or create a new one.

Upon searching mozillaZine, I found a lot of talk about making sure that there isn't any remnants of Thunderbird running in memory (mostly a Windows error, that I have had before, and is a simple to fix with an "end task" command) or delete the file "parent.lock." I looked though everything, but there was no parent.lock or even a parent. file... I was getting quite frustrated. After reading 8 pages of mozillaZine, I finally found a link that was quite useful: mozillaZine: Profile in Use.

To summarize, there is one key point that was neglected from the majority of the forums:
The application may have shut down abnormally, leaving the lock in place. To fix this, delete the file named "parent.lock" (Windows), "lock" (Linux), or ".parentlock" (Mac OS X) in your profile folder.
Grrr, that seems like something they would have mentioned... Although, I only found one Linux guy having the same problem as I (out of the posts that I read).

iPod
Currently, it is still formatting. Damn USB 1.1. It's getting closer to the end of formatting, but it still has a ways to go. And the sad thing is, I don't have a clue if this will work or not.

No comments: