12/20/05

Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug...
Well, I got Xorg configured on Raku - w00t. I also found out what was wrong with my display manager... (that was what my angry post was this morning) the new nvidia driver doesn't support (among other versions) the Riva TNT2 cards anymore. When I told Gentoo to use the nvidia driver instead of the nv (bare-bones nvidia driver) the driver threw an exception -- right out the window. There may be a way to fix this, perhaps by using an older version of the nvidia driver, or something. I'll have to do a lot more research on that before I get a decent answer though.

Still, I feel that using the nv driver is more of a "workaround" than a solution... I really want that nv driver up and running.

On a side note, I have no clue if closing the SSH session will cause gentoo to stop compiling KDE... It's been going for around four hours now, and it seems a little pointless to leave SSH open. But, I remember having some odd issues with KSSH and VNC connections... Once the session for KSSH or VNC were closed, they would lose all the data that I was working on; quite annoying, and I definitely don't want to risk that on an compilation of KDE (btw: I did an emerge kde command, so it should be getting all/most of KDE at the same time... This could go on for a day or two).

Updated Specifics for Today
  • [DONE] Get Xorg up and running, specifically the damn mouse.
  • [IN PROGRESS] Get a desktop manager installed, and then the other two (total: KDE, Fluxbox, Gnome)
  • [ ] Update portage (first, find the instructions on how to do that)
  • [ ] Get specific software installed (alsa, amarok, gtkpod, OOo 2)
  • [ ] Configure the system for appearance

No comments: