12/20/05

Generation Next, Generation Next... Generation!
Okay, so that was dorky. But it gets worse...

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Yesterday, I got bored. So I decided to do something... Mwahahahaha. GENTOO LINUX! I realized that I had a spare system just sitting around that I kept saying, "Ya know, one day, I'll install my MS Windows Server 2003 Enterprise to it and play with it." But, once I got VMWear running on Suzi-LNX, there was little point in doing that. But there was one thing that I didn't want to do in VMWare, and that was the installation of Gentoo.

Now, there has always been this love/hate relationship between Gentoo and I... Gentoo is a pain in the ass to install. It's not just "text based" - oh no, text based installers I can do, Gentoo is "install from source" and "customization centric" which basically means that it's not only a pain in the ass to install, but it also takes forever to install.

Yesterday, I spent the entire day getting my base system installed. Thankfully, I was able to use SSH for most of it, and just sit at Suzi-LNX watching anime and building the system at the same time. Today should be even easier, since I'll be compiling a lot of stuff, which means "no user input" for a while... As long as I didn't screw up the base system, things should be fine. But if I did, I might not notice the problems until well into the compilation process.

Specifics for Today
  • [DONE] Get Xorg up and running, specifically the damn mouse.
  • [ ] Get a desktop manager installed, and then the other two (total: KDE, Fluxbox, Gnome)
  • [ ] Update portage (first, find the instructions on how to do that)
  • [ ] Get specific software installed (alsa, amarok, gtkpod, OOo 2)
  • [ ] Configure the system for appearance

Not all of these tasks may get done today, probably not even half, since I'll have to compile all that crap, but I should be able to get some of it done.

No comments: