12/14/05

And Linux shall inherit the Earth…
Well, a while ago a friend of mine was telling me about the benefits of using Cedega TransGaming in Linux. The whole conversation came about from talking about uptime, and how my uptime is lower than what it could be in SUSE just because I have to reboot to play video games (which I rarely do play, but I do play them enough that I have had to reboot my machine for it once or twice a month). So, I got talked into getting Cedega.

I'm working on getting the Sims2 to work in Linux, but I like to use mounted ISO images to play my games, and I just happen to only have NRG images of Sims2. Grrr. After a few hours of working with Nero, and attempting to create a new image, this time an ISO, I gave up. All I could make was NRG images. I was about to give up and use the disc, but I though: "Hey, haven't I seen and NRG to ISO converter in Linux?" and yes, I did. It was in KPackage (apt-get GUI), and I installed that right away. I'm going to experiment with that here pretty soon.

But, before I did all of that, I tried to run Sims2 by just using cedega, and it seemed to have worked. It didn't start all the way, but it did bring up the "Sims2" logo to start the game. I think it is working correctly, I just need to get a CD going for it, and maybe a few other minor elements configured before I can really test out my games.

And what the heck is up with Miki-ni?
Well, I'm still working with Miki-ni… Miki is still down for repairs, and is currently running a boot-time anti-virus scan (avast!). I also ran a chkdsk on C: which returned a clean file system, accept for a single 4k cluster that was bad, and I believe that it was repaired.

It will still be a while before I can tell what is wrong with the system, but I'll keep working on it. I talked to Andrew earlier today, and he said that there was a problem with a recent update that he did to ZoneAlarm… That his mom had told him that when she got on the computer that morning the PC had said that "Windows has recovered from a serious error" - and when he sent the data into Microsoft, he got a response saying that the problem was a recent update from ZoneAlarm. Oddly enough, I also have just recently upgraded ZoneAlarm on that machine, and each time the computer has crashed (accept for the first time) the computer has crashed as it was being logged on.

Possible solution? Perhaps. But, we'll have to wait an see about that. More on the ongoing story of Miki-Ni's KMODE_EXECPTION_NOT_HANDLED blue screen fiasco to come!

No comments: