12/21/05

24 Hours Later...

Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Is Love

Welcome to KDE! w00t. It's still 3.4, but that's okay, although annoying... 3.5 was released two weeks ago, and should have been in portage by now! But, 3.4 works.

I only had one minor problem with KDE, I was having some odd issues modifying my .xinitrcd file (it should be noted that this problem had nothing to do with KDE itself)... I'm not sure why I was having trouble, but the file just never created... It's like I was trying to save to a write protected directory or something. I eventually got it, and things moved on well from there.

After KDE finished emerging, I emerged amarok and fluxbox. Quick and simple installs. From there, I decided to go ahead with Gnome, and that's what the system is currently working on. It should be another day or so before that's done. And even then, I think I didn't have the right USE flags in for Gnome, so I may have to go and fix that --which would cause me to have to recompile Gnome (best case) or have to recompile the entire system (worst case). Either way, it'll be awhile before I am able to do much with the system.

But, I have actually started KDE, and it works just fine. I found out that it's got some audio issues (which I'll have to figure out) but it seems to be stable, although it also seems to be fairly empty right now... There's not much software installed on it. I should get that up and running here soon though, but it may be a bit before I can do that (gotta wait for Gnome to finish!).

Updated:
Specifics for Today!

  • [DONE] Get Xorg up and running, specifically the damn mouse.
  • [INPROGRESS] Get a desktop manager installed, and then the other two (total: KDE, Fluxbox, Gnome)
  • [ ] Update portage (first, find the instructions on how to do that)
  • [INPROGRESS] Get specific software installed (alsa, amarok, gtkpod, OOo 2)
  • [ ] Configure the system for appearance

Multipart sections have completed projects marked in italics and the INPROGRESS tag.

No comments: