10/24/09

Snow Leopard

Snow LeopardAfter a good three years of use, I finally upgraded my MacBook from Mac OS X Tiger to Mac OS X Snow Leopard. So far the system is quite stellar. It behaves just as responsively and all the functionality seems to be there. I'm still playing around with all the new features, but it seems to be quite a quick and simple OS to use.

One of the beautiful things about the OS is that upon first boot, it automatically detected that I had one incompatible application, Parallels Desktop, installed on the machine. When I first got the Mac, I was using Boot Camp with Parallels to access my Boot Camp partition while in Mac OS. However, since that time, I've hardly ever used Parallels (it seemed to have issues trying to run Mac OS, Parallels, and Windows simultaneously), I decided to get rid of it. I also had not used Windows in ages, since the partition was too small to be of much use (only 10gb), I removed that as well (very quick and easy to resize the partition in Mac OS X Snow Leopard without reformatting the drive).

The only blip I had was that after I deleted my former Boot Camp partition, the system acted a little strange. I tried to empty the trash, and I would get a strange Mac OS X generic error. I would try to move a file, and I'd get the same error. No matter what I did, it seems that if I was updating the file system, the system would have a fit and wouldn't let the operation complete. I was really worried at this point, I thought I had corrupted the file system or something, so I ran Disk Utility, both Verify Disk and Verify Permissions. The system came out clean. Upon Restart, the system was running smoothly and I had normal access once again. Perhaps I missed reading a prompt instructing me to reboot once the removal of the Windows partition was complete? Or perhaps it was just a fluke.

Outisde of that, I've been taking a look at the new 27" iMac with the Magic Mouse. It looks like quite the beautiful machine, but it's price tag is a little high for me and and I'm still not much of a fan of the all-in-one design. I'd much rather have a Mac Pro, but those are even more costly! Ahh well, such is life. I plan on making a trip to the Troy Apple store to check out the new iMacs and the Magic Mouse specifically, as well as taking a peak at the new MacBooks. However, from what I'm getting from my fellow Mac Fanatic, Mark, the Apple Store at Somerset is closed for remodeling! ~sigh, very disappointing. It should be open again in a few days, I'll have to make a special trip sometime after work next week.

No comments: