7/24/09

iPod Insanity

See Update Below


I am really in a strange situation here... I've got my good ol' iPod Nano (gen 1 baby!), where I keep a lot of my tech Podcasts in a Playlist so that I can easily manage just one show at a time.

Today however, I realized that in the Windows Weekly podcast playlist shows that episode 75 is still the first on the list, but I'm up-to-date with the podcast and should have just the most recently episodes (episodes 100+) on there. So I did some checking, and it looks like the iPod has Episode 75 listed in the playlist, but nowhere else on the iPod.

I don't want to just delete it from the playlist, I want to remove it completely from the iPod. The file has long since been removed from my Mac. So the question is, where is the data file at on the iPod?

My first thought, "Oh, it must have been classified incorrectly, and is hanging out in the Music folder." WRONG. I searched there, to no avail. I even checked the Audiobook area just incase, but I also had no luck with that.

Then I thought, "Well, it's gotta be on the iPod somewhere, so if I do a 'Get Info' command on the file, I should have some rudimentary information about where the file is located at on the iPod." WRONG. Get Info did not list a single thing about the actual location of the audio file. Just gave me an indication that the file was playable on the iPod and had several variables that I could set.

That's when I realize that I might be able to push the episode from being a "Podcast" to being "Music" or something. I tried that out as well from the Get Info prompt, but had no luck. I can change the Genera, but the media type is greyed out.

I tried moving the song from the playlist to the iPod in general, but also had no luck. I tried moving it to my Music on iTunes and to the Mac desktop, but I had no luck in this at all. The only thing I can do (or so it seems) is move it between playlists on the iPod or delete the entry from the playlist (and I would rather not have the space wasted on an entire episode like that).

Googling so far has not returned any useful results. I'm not even sure what to be looking for, just trying to come up with some solution.

I'm going to keep looking, but I've got a looming fear that I may have a decision to make, either format the iPod to remove the episode, or just delete the file from the playlist and not worry about the extra space that it is taking up.

***Update
Not wanting to give up so easily, I fired up the one sure way to view the contents of the *true* file system, and not these virtual folders with hidden objects that Finder gives you, I'd use Terminal!

I enabled my root user (for just a bit, I promise) and did

AkiraBook:~indigo$ su
Password:
AkiraBook:/Users/indigo root# cd /Volumes/Saji-chan/iPod_Control/Music/F03
AkiraBook:/Volumes/Saji-chan/iPod_Control/Music/F03

From here, I did an ls -sk to show me the files and size in Kb. I looked though F00 to F05, but there was only one file that was close, WDXV.mp3 that was 35700-some Kb, which is really close to the 35.1 Mb that I was looking for. Not wanting to be unsure, I copied the file to the desktop and opened it. Sure enough, it opened in iTunes and said that it was "Windows Weekly 75."

I did a quick rm -v command, and it got rid of the file. The iPod now has an additional 35 MB of free space, and I promptly removed episode 75 from the Windows Weekly playlist. SUCCESS!

No comments: