1/6/08

Leopard Upgrade

iMac with Leopard DVDSo, the trip home wasn't too bad. The annoyance of having to make a special trip to manage a Macintosh because the correct OS wasn't preinstalled is really annoying, but I did need to manage the firewall directly, and there was some other family issues that needed to be addressed, so it wasn't exactly just a "tech support" thing.

I must say, the OS is beautiful. My family is quickly adapting to the Mac OS lifestyle, and they are really loving it. Especially Photobooth.

The biggest issue so far has been the side buttons on the Mighty Mouse, they kept hitting them, causing Expose to fire-up. So I decided to disable that button (#3 on the mighty mouse). I enabled right-click though (button #2) on the mouse, to make troubleshooting with them over the phone easier.

Unfortunately, Remote Desktop doesn't seem to be working so well over the internet. I believe that it is the firewall at home that is doing it, since everything is spot-on with the Mac, but each time I try to RA into any computer from outside the network, I'm blocked. Very disappointing. The ISP is also bouncing the IP address around all the time now, It seems to change every 12 to 48 hours, making remote access almost impossible. I'm really starting to think that it is time for my parents to change ISPs again.

Outside of that, the iMac itself is running wonderful with Leopard (upgrade only disk, requiring Tiger to be installed before Leopard can be installed). There's really no complaints about it, other than I'm not so sure that I like the new folder icons. Everything else is nice though. I'll be tinkering with it on and off again over time though, if for nothing else than to decide if I want to upgrade to it myself. ^___^

No comments: