10/11/07

Guess What Broke Down Again

Early this morning, my MS rep called me, wanting mostly to close the ticket. I bet his manager is breathing down his neck to get the account closed... We've already spent nearly 8 hours on the phone together. I finally let him talk me into it.

About 15 minutes later, I found out that the backup from the night before failed. ~sigh. Nothing sucks more than realizing that you just paid Microsoft $259 to waste two days of work. I'm still troubleshooting it now myself, while I've been in contact with my MS rep (via email only, apparently he doesn't feel like calling me back anymore) trying to get the back ups running again.

Damn you Exchange, you suck.

BTW: I also found this guy who actually did hit the 16 GB limit. Thank God that didn't happen in my Exchange environment... But it seems the two of us are having "post maintenance" troubleshooting. I'm glad that at least my users are able to send and receive easily, but without having decent backups, we definitely having a ticking time-bomb that is known as Microsoft Exchange Server.

[update]
I just finished some basic management of Exchange, I ran eseuitl /k (checksum checks) which turned out well, as well as eseutil /d, which defraged the database just fine. I then ran NTBackup and was able to backup the database... However, Veritas backups still don't work. ~sigh. I might look into troubleshooting that, but I'm not so sure that I'm as worried as I was earlier.

No comments: