4/5/06

OSX86

OSX86: Natively!


When I returned to college, I had a few things in mind on what I was going to do with my machines to get everything running the way I wanted it to be, and I had a few tests that I wanted to run on some of the boxes to troubleshoot some potentially failed PSUs or Motherboards.

Turned out, that my computers were all fine, accept for two of the power supplies failed! That was annoying, but with the purchase of one 400 W PSU from a roommate of mine, I was doing okay. But, I did make the mistake of leaving a few hard drives at home, one of which is critical for the boot process of Windows 2000 Pro.

Sooo... Seeing as how I had no ability to utilize that box, I decided to install OSX86 to it! It took me a while to get all the hardware configurations right (since I played around in BIOS when testing out the PSUs), but it worked easily!

I made one mistake of doing an upgrade from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6, which screwed up the boot process (note to self: let's not do that again), but other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing. I'm loving the dashboard even more, and I've been playing around a little with X11 in OSX86, with limited success. Surprisingly, X11 is quite limited in OSX86, whereas the standard terminal is nearly fully functional!

Since it's so cold in the dorm at this time of year (drafty rooms, with the boilers running at low power), I've been keeping all the computers I can running at maximum CPU output, to help keep the room a little warmer... Hence, I've been running folding@home for a day now, and it's working beautifully. Oddly enough, it's the PPC version... The linux version didn't work at all (that's where I noticed X11 was fairly limited).

OSX86 Dashboard, New Installation

BTW: You can see my folding running behind the dashboard screenshot, and you can view my folding stats here!

No comments: